Tips for Sustainable Clothing Business
With all the technology available that works with digital printing systems, it’s not hard to use sustainable processes for your apparel business. These processes make your end product greener, which bodes well for your company’s reputation. Consumers love to purchase green products, and they are better for the environment as a whole. When you decide to implement these processes for making sustainable clothing, you must do it carefully, to implement the changes while still creating a quality product.
1. Know the materials you have to work with. Knowing the impact of each type and brand of materials will help you to determine what offers the least environmental impact, while still creating a quality product. An easy way to do this is by utilizing resources such as the Nike MAKING app.
2. Choose organic or recycled products when you can. Organic products do not impact the environment as much, due to the growing and harvesting process of the materials within the product. For example, organic cotton is grown without using chemicals or pesticides. Recycled products are reused, which means they do not end up in a landfill.
3. Reduce waste when creating products. When creating apparel, reduce the amount of waste by being efficient with the cuttings or other materials. In addition, try to reduce the amount of dyes wasted in the screen printing process.
4. Find out where your materials come from. See if those products are from sustainable resources. Use green products when and where you can.
5. Know your dyeing and printing methods. Dyeing wastes tons of liters of water each year. Reduce the amount of water used, or select a different method of dyeing. Digital printing is a good way to reduce the water usage over time.
For more information, contact us at ShopWorks.